Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Small steps

Two unrequited liberals asked me to teach them how to shoot. They are sisters, own a small business and voted for Hopey, Changey in the last election. Being the true knuckle draggin' neanderthal I am, I leaped at the chance to bring some one into the Light or Dark if you happen to swing for the other team. Trying to get the moons into alignment for them, my work schedule was an exercise in time management. One Sunday morning when it wasn't pouring down rain or some other climate changing event I took them out to the range. SIG 220 with a .22 conversion upper, Ruger Bearcat and a Inland M1 carbine dated 6/44. Subject A shot fair with the Sig but had issues with the M1 when we found out she is cross eye dominant. Subject B didn't do as well with the pistol so I switched her to the Bearcat and concentrated on sight picture and trigger control. She did hit fairly well with the M1 though so I'm thinking I might work her up on a 20 Guage 1100. My hope is to get them both to an IDPA match to start working them into a shooting mindset. Also have picked out their pistol rigs for when that happens. Subject B is also a south paw while her sister A is right handed. Makes for interesting range drill. 4 Rules with given and reinforced and they had to recite them after clean up and prior to leaving the range. Q and A was conducted post action and they were happy with the session and wanted to know when we could go again.


1. The firearm is always loaded.

2. Keep your finger out of/off the trigger until you are prepared to fire.

3. Never point the firearm at anything you don't want to shoot or are not willing to pay for.

4. Always be sure of your target and beyond.


Small steps

No comments:

Post a Comment